Orchard House, started by members of Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church, was an assisted living home which operated from 1996 to 2003 when it was sold. The proceeds from that sale are used to assist organizations that help seniors remain in their homes.
Since 2003 grants totaling over $990,000 have been made. In December 2013 Orchard House Foundation finished its charter when all monies were completely gifted. Organizations that have received grants from Orchard House include:
- Sunnyvale Community Services (emergency funds and Christmas gifts for seniors)
- Heart of the Valley (computer system)
- Life’s Garden (electronic outside doors)
- Meals on Wheels (purchase of meals)
- Council on Aging (lavalieres making it possible for homebound seniors to make emergency calls)
- Roadrunner Transportation (GPS systems for cars used to transport seniors to and from doctor appointments)
- Rebuilding Together (building supplies for ramps, hand bars, etc. for their Neighbor to Neighbor program)
- Local Salvation Army (emergency funds and Christmas gifts for seniors)
Orchard House board members were Dave Morley (chair), Linda Adams, Diana Aldrich, Sharon Barnes, Peter Calverley, Ed Johnson, Jean Nix, Betty Sauer, and Larry Yaggi.